A boat is not firmly booked until the completed and signed Booking Form, with a Deposit of £250, has been received by the Owners. A Receipt and Invoice will be sent immediately. Prices are inclusive of VAT. The booking confirmation and booking statement are not VAT invoices.
2. BALANCE OF THE HIRE CHARGE:
Once the booking has been accepted – THE HIRING PARTY IS RESPONSIBLE IN LAW FOR THE WHOLE OF THE HIRE CHARGE. WE THEREFORE STRONGLY ADVISE HIRERS TO TAKE OUT HOLIDAY CANCELLATION INSURANCE WHICH WILL COVER THE HIRE FEE SHOULD THEY NOT BE ABLE TO TAKE THEIR HOLIDAY DUE TO ILLNESS OF MEMBERS OF THE PARTY OR OF CLOSE RELATIVES, OR BE CALLED FOR JURY SERVICE.
The balance of the hire fee must be paid at least 8 WEEKS before the starting date of the holiday.
3. THE FUEL AND DAMAGE DEPOSIT:
A fuel / damage deposit of £150 is required per week. This is payable on arrival. It will be returned less the cost of fuel used if the boat and its contents come back to our base clean undamaged and at the the stated time.
If there is any loss or damage to the boat or its contents this is charged pro rata up to £150 and the fuel charged above this. DELAYED VACATION OF THE BOAT WILL BE CHARGED AT £10.00 PER HOUR.
4. CANCELLATION and DATE CHANGES:
Should the hirer need to cancel or change the booking, he shall inform the owners immediately in writing. The owners will make every effort to re-let the boat, and, if successful, will retain half of the deposit as a re-letting charge. Any holiday date change within 8 weeks of travel is taken as being a cancellation. If the boat is re-let at a lower rate than that which it was originally booked at the hirer remains liable for the balance up to the original rate. If the boat cannot be re-let THE HIRER REMAINS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE WHOLE HIRE FEE (SEE NOTE ABOVE RE CANCELLATION INSURANCE).
5. AGE OF HIRER:
Boats will not be let to anyone under the age of 18 years. No one under 18 may steer without adult supervision or be in charge of boats at any time. Any single adult hirer accompanied by children under 12 yrs old must get the agreement of the company before booking.
Of the boat and 3rd party insurance up to £1,000,000 is included in the hire charge, excepting that the first £150.00 of each and very claim is the responsibility of the hirer. Pets are not covered under the company’s insurance policy and the Hirer shall be liable for the cost of any damage or extra cleaning required.
7. PERSONAL EFFECTS:
The owners cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage to hirer’s property. Hirers are responsible for any charges made against them by canal or other water authorities for damage or wastage of water due to hirers failing to close lock gates or paddles fully and carefully. Cars are left at the Hirer’s own risk and on the understanding that staff may need to move the vehicles for access or in case of emergencies. Keys and any security/locking details to be left with staff before departure on your boat.
The owners cannot accept responsibility for delays due to stoppages, drought, flood, strikes, fuel shortage, or other circumstances beyond their control. Delays can happen at locks at busy times, and hold-ups for several hours are sometimes caused by obstructed lock gates. Hirers should allow for this in their plans, as late return will be charged strictly as stated in condition 10.
The hirer shall have no claim on the owners as a result of any failure or breakdown of the boat or failure of its engine or equipment, and if such a breakdown is caused by negligence of the hirer in failing to observe the written advice given to him by the owners, the owners shall have the right to claim upon the hirer in respect of expenses involve in rectifying the matter. The hirer shall sign the ‘Confirmation of Ability’ before departure and thereafter the hirer is completely responsible for the boat, its equipment and its operation, until it is handed back to the company at the end of the hire period.
10. Times for start and return are included in the details of each boat. Please Note: Late vacation will be strictly charged for at £10.00 per hour, or pro rata. Earlier take over may sometimes be possible but cannot be promised. The owners cannot accept responsibility for delay due to late return of previous hirers or needed repairs.
11. Company’s right to decline handover for safety reasons
The Company may cancel your booking and refuse to hand the boat over to you if, in its reasonable opinion, You are unsuitable to take charge of the boat for any reason that may adversely affect the safety of any person or property. In this event (and provided that You have fully complied with your obligations under this Agreement) the Company will refund the Deposit and any other monies which You have paid to the Company and the contract shall be discharged without further liability on either party.
12. Company’s right to repossess during the hire
The Company may repossess the boat at any time after commencement of the Hire Period if in the reasonable opinion of the Company You are unsuitable to be in charge of the boat for any reason affecting the safety of any person or property including in particular if You or any member of your party is or appears to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs or if You are not behaving responsibly or if there has been a material breach of the terms of this Agreement.
13. Any accident must be immediately reported to the owners. The Owners DO NOT accept liability.
14. The owners will do their best to ensure that the boat is handed over in good running order, likewise all possible help will be given in any difficulty, but they cannot be responsible for any inconvenience or cost to the hirer arising from breakdown or mishap.
15. No oil stove or gas appliance of any sort may be brought on board.
16. Craft must not carry more than the number of passengers specified.
17. Craft must not travel in darkness, thick fog, tidal waters, on the Manchester Ship Canal, or tow other vessels.
18. Should the owners, due to circumstances beyond their control, be unable supply the craft on the date booked, and should it not be possible for the owners and hirer to agree on a suitable alternative, the owners shall return all moneys already paid, but the hirer shall have no further claim against them.
19. Should this base be unusable, due for example, to drought, the booking shall stand for such alternative base as may be found. Should the drought be such that cruising is not possible, condition 17 shall apply.
20. If fuel cannot be obtained, the booking shall stand, the craft be used as a moored houseboat, and the charge be reduced by half.
21. RETURN OF LOST PROPERTY:
Property left on the boat can be returned on receipt of a payment of a minimum charge of £5.00. Unclaimed property will be disposed of after one month.
The descriptions of the boats in the brochure are generally accurate but the company will not be liable for any minor inaccuracies.